Which resources are available?
Researchers can apply for computing time on the available supercomputers of the Spanish Supercomputing Network (RES). The RES nodes also provide technical support and trainings for users.
Who can apply?
All the resources are aimed at non-profit R&D purposes. They are open to Spanish research groups from academia and public research centres. Research groups based in other countries can also apply for RES resources, but the participation of Spanish researchers is recommended.
How to apply?
Computing resources are granted by means of competitive calls. Proposals are evaluated every four months by the Access Committee, which is advised by an Expert Panel composed of prestigious scientists. To participate in RES calls, you need to create an account in the RES intranet and complete an online application form. The information requested in the application form is available in the RES Application Guide.
The use of RES resources is allocated based on the criteria of excellence and scientific impact. Research groups do not need to pay for the use of RES resources.
The Access Committee is composed of four members, appointed for a period of four years with a 25% annual renewal. Its composition is:
- an external manager with wide experience in Innovation Management,
- a representative from ANEP (Agencia Nacional de Evaluación y Prospectiva),
- a supercomputing expert, external to BSC (Barcelona Supercomputing Center) but part of the RES, and
- a supercomputing expert, member of BSC.
The Access Committee receives advice from two Expert Panels:
- Technical Expert Panel. Its members are nominated by the centres affiliated to the RES and are responsible for conducting the evaluation from the technical point of view.
- Scientific Expert Panel. It is composed of renowned scientists external to the RES. The Scientific Expert Panel is divided into four areas:
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Life and Health Sciences
- Mathematics, Physics and Engineering
- Chemistry and Materials Science and Technology
Each application is evaluated by two reviewers of the Scientific Expert Panel. Then, the Scientific Expert Panel prioritises the activities of the four areas and sends its recommendations to the Access Committee, who publish the final report. The report prioritises the allocation of resources based on the computing hours available.
Proposals are evaluated every four months. The annual calendar is:
|Period||Deadline for applications||Activity starting date|
Next deadline to apply for RES resources (P2 2017) is 13 September 2017.
The duration of activities is limited to four months. Those activities whose computing needs require more than one period can request a continuation activity, reporting the intermediate results obtained to the Access Committee.
For further information, read the RES Access Protocol document or contact the support team by email (applications [at] bsc.es).
The information requested in the application form is available in the RES Application Guide. The information requested to report the results obtained in RES activities is available in the Dissemination Information Guide.
List of accepted activities for the second period of 2017, published on 28 June 2017.